Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Lowered expectations

The NY legislature just passed a budget on time for the first time in like 10 years or something like that. There was a commercial that I saw on television that was basically telling constituents to call and congratulate their representatives for this. Is this crazy to anybody else? I see it as a source of shame that they haven't been able to do this for so long. Should we really start congratulating people for doing things that they are not only supposed to do, but haven't done in a very long time? I think we have starting giving too much praise for too many mundane things. Legislatures should get budgets done on time. I just think this is crazy. I guess what really irks me about it is the way that they champion this as such a huge accomplishment and nobody calls them on it. CRAZINESS

1 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Not Quite Elle Woods said...

Um, I think that the commercials were trying to be facetious. The NY State legislature is notorious for inefficiency and getting so tied-up in scratching each other's backs that local campaign platforms always emphasize "getting the job done" but elected state council members and senators tend not to be able to work towards this once in office. So, yes, I would call my representative as a reminder of how unacceptable the legislative record is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home