Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Hold your horses...

I'm joining, i'm joining...simma! Finals are around the corner and my self-diagnosed adult ADD and semester-long apathy and procrastination are catching up with me, so no offense, but blogging hasn't been high up there on my list. Adding insult to laziness, the "Lost First Post" was also rather discouraging. But do not fear, Kind Gentleman from VA, all is not lost. I am here. And P.S. -- I managed to respond to one of your posts before the dreaded server crash.

Here's a random "I have class in a few minutes but I was thinking" rant:

I am a Hugo Black fan and believe that "An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is" a "minimum guarantee of the First Amendment." I also think that "Without deviation, without exception, without any ifs, buts, or whereases, freedom of speech means that you shall not do something to people either for the views they express, or the words they speak or write." Further, I am an advocate of informed discussion and the free exchange of ideas; I do feel that education and discovery about ourselves and our world diminishes without exercise of the ideals of the First Amendment. However, don't I have a right not to hear religious fanatics on the street corner telling me that I am a sinner and that I am going to hell? Is it possible that we have a right not to have Jehovah's Witnesses knock on our door trying to save us? I mean, really, why should I have to chose between pulling the curtains shut and hiding behind my couch and being an ass and saying "I'm sorry, I'm happy with my views on life and religion and don't want to hear your religious banter in my home, especially since I think birthdays and Christmas are great. Please LEAVE."

Next up -- Junk mail. Why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home