Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Reality TV

I want to pose a question. I don't think anyone will answer because I have serious doubts whether or not anyone reads this. So NBC is coming out with this show The Contender. Apparently one of the contestants has committed suicide. I don't think the show will be liable and I also don't think reality shows would drive people (generally) to suicide. I say this with the caveat that most (at least as far as I know) they make contestants undergo psychological testing before they come on the show. Watching The Apprentice the other week made me think of this because one lady on the show about had a mental breakdown and then quit the next week. Now this guy commits suicide. My question is whether or not this marks the end for reality tv? I mean of course the liability goes up as soon as people are committing suicide. This makes it ultimately more expensive and the low cost was one of the reasons that these shows were so popular amongs those shelling out the bucks to make them. They were cheaper than sitcoms and were netting the same if not more money. I don't know how I feel about it. I think it seems morbid. I also think when you talk about reality tv you have to deal with reality and unfortunately suicide is a reality. I'll be interested to see how the show handles it. I'll be interested to see if this effects reality shows in general. I am interested in what you guys think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home