Saturday, September 11, 2004

September 11

It is now the third anniversary of September 11th. It seems that everybody has something to say about it, but nobody knows quite what to say. I thought it was very moving to look out my windown and see the lights beaming up from lower Manhattan that they do as a tribute. They were hitting a cloud and it was lighting up the cloud in a very neat way. made me wish I had a camera so that I could capture it. I really don't know how I feel about September 11th. it was very surreal to me. I didn't quite understand what was going on. I do know that thirty years from know if anyone asks where I was and to recount the events of that day I will be able to in vivid description. I think that definitely means something. I think it was one of the first real historical events that younger generations will ask about that I will have been alive for and remember. I think it is so tragic that it had to be such a terrible event.

One thing it does is make me happy to live here in America. I think of the countries that have to face this month in and month out. I couldn't imagine living in a place like that. i couldn't imagine the complete and pure devistation of any semblance of a normal life. It makes me thing that humans really are dynamic, because they can actually forge lives despite living in terrible circumstances. It makes me think of the war in Iraq. I don't want to get into that whole debate, but it seems to me that we have done something that will make the world a little better place. Whether it was our right to do it, or whether it makes our lives less safe, or what have you. I think that we made the world a better place to live in. I just imagine that when you are laying in your deathbed and you are looking back on your life you will not remember the porsche or the corporate job or the lavish vactions, but I think you will remember what you did to make this world a little better. I'd like to think that when you do leave this world those contributions will live on.

This post has kind of started to get past September 11th, but I think it creates these feelings and these thoughts in people. It makes you aware of your own mortality. it's a scary thought, but it is a very true thought. I have already said too much on a subject that demands few words. I will leave this post with a link to the victims of September 11th. http://www.september11victims.com/september11Victims/victims_list.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home