Sunday, September 19, 2004

The Count of Monte Cristo

I just finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo. It was a really good book. I thought it should have ended differently though. Let me say first that it is nothing like the movie. I enjoyed the movie until I read the book and realized that it was completely different. I don't mean usual movie different, this thing may as well have been adapted from another book. Only like 1/8 of the movie was like the book. That being said; I really did like the book. It has a lot of lessons and all that stuff. I think it really talks of revenge though. Many books and many things were learn do not deal with revenge. They say that revenge is a bad thing. In this book revenge is a think that is willed by God. It is through Edmond Dantes that revenge is exacted.

Do not read if you feel like reading the book and don't want to know the end, even though the book is still good even if you know the end. Anyways, he goes through this whole time exacting this perfect plan of revenge. He even gets revenge upon those whom he loved, but he felt betrayed him. I am glad that he didn't end up with Mercedes. She was a bitch to him. In the movie he does and I felt that was a cop out also. In this one he ends up with Haydee. He is 'so happy' to have ended up with her and glad to be with her. Gimme a break. This man was falsely imprisoned and tortured for 14 years. At the end of his vengeance he starts to question it? Are you kidding me? Nobody would question it after what he had suffered. Also, this questioning led him to believe that he just wanted to recapture his old happiness. I have a hard time articulating why I think it is so wrong. You will have to read it for yourself to understand. It is just a feeling that you get. It makes you feel like his character didn't have the balls to go through what he did.

Last thing to say. Great book. I did like it a lot. It was very long, but very worth reading. don't let my exasperations over the end of it turn you off to it. I think it represents the modern adaptation in some ways all too well. For those who are good there is a fairytale ending, and for those who are bad there is nothing but despair. That is not the way the world works. I know some very evil people that are very successfull and happy. I also know some very good people that are very sad and very unsuccessful. I think this world judges you by other things than how good you are. Maybe there is a higher judgment and maybe there isn't? I am just talking about the judgment of this world we live in.

2 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger syntax pua said...

How do you judge yourself, thats what will make a difference.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Andy, its Phi. I decided to post a comment since none of your other "loyal" readers do. Just saying hi. Hope everything goes well with school. New York sucks, DC is WAY cooler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home